Seek: 30 Minutes a Day
Scan New RSS Headings Daily: 5 mins
- Action: Discard or save for later with tag
- Tools: Pocket to tag and save content to read later
Read Saved Daily: 15-20 mins
Scan Twitter Lists & Saved Searches: 10-15 Min 1 to 2 times a daily
- Action: If something peaks my interest, favorite to give credit and save to read later with tag.
- Tools: Hootsuite to view and organize Twitter feeds. Pocket to tag and save content to read later.
Side Note: I typically am not very active on Social Media during the weekend. I love my profession but I also love Snowboarding and Mountain biking – maybe more ; )
Sense: 2-3 hours a Week
Blog 30-60 Mins Weekly
- Sunday Summary Post: A once a week post on what I am finding on social media and how it relates to what I am working on or thinking. This concept is based on on Harold Jarche’s Friday Finds.
- Learning Reflection Posts: This is more random. I try for once a month but it doesn’t always happen. These posts are for when inspiration strikes (like this one ) or to reflect on any learning activity I am participating in (i.e. MOOC).
- What I am Working On Posts: This is something I am not currently doing but want to. These would be once a month and will be inspired by what Helen Blunden does at Activate Learning Solutions. I’m thinking this will be a great way to highlight the projects I am working on since they are proprietary and it’s rare I can show work samples.
- Tools: WordPress
Curate 30 Mins Weekly
- Topic: Unmanned Aircraft Systems Training News & Tips. Side Note – I work for a UAS company and this is one of the ways I want to give back to them for being so supportive of my PKM strategy. I haven’t actually gone live with this yet but my intent is to have this up and running by March.
- Tools: ScoopIt
- Stretch Curation Goal: I would really like to start to incorporate Stoify into my practice. I think it would be helpful to pull together my thoughts when I am participating in a learning activity like Keeley Sorokti did for MSLOC430, a open course I am currently participating in or rather trying too participate it ; )
Engage 60 mins weekly
- I typically share 1 article a day, adding what I really liked about it or quoting something that I thought was inspiring. I typically tag it with #LrnToday to as I way to keep track of what I am learning.
- I also add my insights to one or two articles I read per day.
- When tweeting or re-tweeting, I tag the individual who I found the article through (if I didn’t find it ) and the person who wrote it.
- I participate in 1 chat a week.
- I participate in 1 learning activities (MOOCs, Webinars, etc.) a month.
- Tools: HootSuite to engage with Twitter and comment feature on blog posts/articles.
Filter & Organize 30 Mins Weekly
- EverNote Bookmarks
- Move them to notebooks for curation (topic I am thinking about maybe curating like PKM 101 for my company).
- Move them to my Blog Notebook to support posts I am working on.
- Discard any that don’t seem relevant any more.
- Twitter Lists & Topics
- I try to review my HootSuite Dashboard (the tool that manages my twitter lists and topics) weekly since I am just getting started. I think as I get more proficient at targeting my content I can move this to a monthly practice.
- I try to keep my tags consistent across tools so I check-in on them occasionally. This really isn’t a regular practice, just something I do when I think about it or have time.
- EverNote Bookmarks
- I use twitter and my blog to share what I am finding or creating.
- I keep some of my Evernote notebooks open on topics I think may be of interest to others.
- My cuarted content on ScoopIt will be publicly available – though right now not a whole lot of people are interested in UAS training ; )